09 May 2011

My mum will be proud

found via  Laura Grace Weldon's blog 

Happy Mother day !
I know it was Mother's Day in the US, Canada and maybe Australia this Sunday.  In France it will be next Sunday.
It is for me one of those mixed feeling type of day since I no longer have my mum around for  almost ...nine years.  Even after all those years the feeling is the same :: bitter  from the lost and sweet from all the love I get from my own children. So we did celebrate it : I had a nice box of Chocolate, some handpicked  wild flower bouquet (the best ones ;) ) and we went to a nice restaurant for lunch. 
Later that day, and thanks to Facebook, I re-connect with  a friend whom I lost track with over the last few years. After the usual questions "How are you", "are you married" & "do you have children", she asked me what I "am doing in life". This is always a puzzling question for me to answer. Excellent question: what am I doing? This friend was very successful professionally.I am more a believer of "what I am doing WITH my life than IN my life" .I gave her a genuine answer. I told her  I was a stay at home mom with strong believes in living a "green" life. And that in parallel of my family life  I create, craft unique objects with soul  for the home that I sold over the Internet.
She immediately replied that I was - therefore -  a creative  "homemaker" with a conscious mind oriented home based business
Waouh ! 
I liked that. 
Although I had no real idea what "homemaker" meant. After Googling, I seek to translate this word in my language, in french} {. But it gavea translation very "domestic" as homemaker seems, at least in the U.S.,encompasses a broader term, or even a "movement".
The first link I found was this one :: "Radical Homemaker" and its associated website. This book got added to my Amazon book list and soon will be on my soon to be Amazon Bookstore.
I am going to dig a little deeper into this new (to me) terminology.
I like that it encompass a lifestyle based on sustainability, unity , making a house a home but also about empowerment, happiness and transformation.
I like that word "HOMEMAKER". Plus it rhymes with TEXTILE DESIGNER.

I think my mum will be proud of me.


2 comments:

  1. Dearest sweet Lila, happy mother's day and i hope you had a wonderful celebration! Yes i know your mama will be so proud of you!! Have alovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Lila! sorry for taking so long to come and say hi. thank you for the sweet words you left me :).

    i'm touched by your post here. i think the hardest job is probably being a mother and i can tell just from your blog that you are a great one. your kids look so happy! i like the word homemaker too. everyone should understand that it is more than a full-time job.

    ReplyDelete